From forest to pressroom, we understand that we have to take responsible steps throughout production.
Dome understands that to be successful for the long term, we have to take responsible steps throughout production. We examine all aspects of the printing process to reduce waste and the environmental footprint of our processes and products
To that end, all sustainability projects are monitored and directed by our in-house Facilities Environmental Committee (FEC). Past projects include increasing recycling utilization throughout the plant, reduction of water waste and implementing low VOC inks and solvents below EPA standards.
Dome also uses FSC®-certified paper, as well as inks and solvents that limit damage to the environment. On an ongoing basis, we refine, reduce and eliminate products that are proven to be environmentally unfriendly or unhealthy for our employees, our community and our planet. Currently, we use vegetable oil–based inks for printing, which are naturally low in VOCs, are non-toxic and produce fewer emissions. We also recognize the importance of responsibly managing our waste stream, and recycle 100% of paper, aluminum printing plates, corrugated cardboard, batteries, plastics, solvents and ink.
Dome’s green initiative includes:
- FSC® Certified (FSC-C009319) – Dome uses more than 5 million pounds annually of FSC® papers
- Lean production methodologies for waste reduction
- Thermal Oxidizers for the elimination of VOC’s in web printing
- Low emission diesel delivery vehicles
- High efficient factory lighting for energy reduction
- Low VOC inks using all vegetable base products
- State-of-the-Art Technotrans water filtration system
- Recycling Program for all waste products: Solvents, Cardboard, Metal, Plastics, Paper and Ink.
Our initiative and compliance practices include:
- Exceed Sacramento Metro District Air Quality Management Compliance
- CAL/OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) Compliant
- Sacramento County Environmental Management District/Hazmat Compliant
- Lean Manufacturing and The 5S Methodology – Reduces Waste and adds Customer Value
- Plant wide Energy Saving/Waste Reduction Compliance
What Does FSC mean?
The Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC) provides a credible link between responsible production and consumption of forest products, enabling consumers and businesses to make purchasing decisions that benefit both people and the environment. Their processes are transparent and ensure that FSC® certified companies, such as Dome, are on the cutting edge of environmental practices. Certification enables Dome to ensure the bulk of paper passing through our presses originates in forests that are responsibly managed to meet the social, economic and ecological needs of present and future generations.
The Dome FSC certification includes:
- Chain of Custody Paper
- House Stocks at least 10% PCW
- Offer up to 100% PCW